- A four-cornered sail supported by a yard attached to a mast.More example sentences
- The argument is that a three-masted ship had three yards on each mast for the square sails, making nine in all.
- When furled, the square sails vanished inside the booms, although the 15 fore-and-aft sails were handled like any modern sail-boat's roller-furling jib.
- At first when sails triumphed over oars, a large square sail was rigged on the mainmast while two smaller sails fore and aft gave the ship maneuverability.
More definitions of square sailDefinition of square sail in:
- The US English dictionary