Definition of squaw in English:
- He had been charmed by a Creek squaw, wife of a Red Stick warrior, and emerged from this intrigue with a thrashing that had left him unconscious and his trading post a heap of ashes.
- In 1799, when John Park built the first house in the Indiana County locale that became Marion Center, several area men, five Seneca Indians, a squaw and a papoose were at the ‘raising.’
- Clint Eastwood spoofed his man-with-no-name persona in The Outlaw Josey Wales, as the silent loner acquires an aged Indian, a squaw, a dog, an old woman, her grand-daughter and countless other hangers-on as well.
- We have become the loving but unregarded wife, the doormat, the squaw, the skivvy.
- She was strange-looking, too, willowy but hip, a Scandinavian squaw with flaxen hair and big teeth and Cubist cheekbones.
- In the back were his squaw and three little blond-haired children.
Until relatively recently, the word squaw was used neutrally in anthropological and other contexts to mean ‘an American Indian woman or wife’. With changes in the political climate in the second half of the 20th century, however, the derogatory attitudes of the past towards American Indian women have meant that, in modern North American English, the word cannot be used in any sense without being offensive. In British English the word has not acquired offensive connotations to the same extent, but it is nevertheless uncommon and now regarded as old-fashioned.
Words that rhyme with squawabhor, adore, afore, anymore, ashore, awe, bandore, Bangalore, before, boar, Boer, bore, caw, chore, claw, cocksure, comprador, cor, core, corps, craw, Delors, deplore, door, draw, drawer, evermore, explore, flaw, floor, for, forbore, fore, foresaw, forevermore, forswore, four, fourscore, furthermore, Gábor, galore, gnaw, gore, grantor, guarantor, guffaw, hard-core, Haugh, haw, hoar, ignore, implore, Indore, interwar, jaw, Johor, Lahore, law, lessor, lor, lore, macaw, man-o'-war, maw, mirador, mor, more, mortgagor, Mysore, nevermore, nor, oar, obligor, offshore, onshore, open-jaw, or, ore, outdoor, outwore, paw, poor, pore, pour, rapport, raw, roar, saw, scaur, score, senhor, señor, shaw, ship-to-shore, shop-floor, shore, signor, Singapore, snore, soar, softcore, sore, spore, store, straw, swore, Tagore, tau, taw, thaw, Thor, threescore, tor, tore, torr, trapdoor, tug-of-war, two-by-four, underfloor, underscore, war, warrantor, Waugh, whore, withdraw, wore, yaw, yore, your
Definition of squaw in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.