noun (plural same or squawfishes)
A large predatory freshwater fish of the carp family, with a slender body and large mouth, found in western North America.
- Genus Ptychocheilus, family Cyprinidae: several species, in particular the northern squawfish (P. oregonensis)
More example sentences
- With its large mouth and torpedo-shaped body, the Colorado squawfish is an efficient predator on other fishes.
- In my search across the internet, I have yet to come across anyone who fly fishes for squawfish.
- When this and other squawfish spawn in the upper Gunnison River, their young are carried downstream by the current and may spill over the Redlands Diversion Dam.
late 19th century: the word derives from the former importance to American Indians of such fish, as food.
More definitions of squawfishDefinition of squawfish in:
- The US English dictionary