- Either of two North American plants:
More example sentences
- ● a yellow-brown parasitic plant related to the broomrape (Conopholis americana, family Orobanchaceae). ● the blue cohosh. See cohosh
- Peculiar, parasitic beechdrops grow on the roots of beech trees; squawroot, another plant devoid of chlorophyll, gains its nutrition from the leaf litter.
- As Quinn observed, ‘There were countless ‘squawroots ‘, for the colonists bestowed this convenient name upon any root they saw a squaw digging.’
- Other common names for this plant are black root, bugbane, rattle root, rattle top, rattle squawroot, snake root and rattle weed.
More definitions of squawrootDefinition of squawroot in:
- The US English dictionary