- A small Eurasian plant of delicate appearance, with fine narrow leaves and scented white or lilac flowers. It was formerly used in the treatment of quinsy.
More example sentences
- Asperula cynanchica, family Rubiaceae
- Notable species include the exceptionally rare red star thistle, as well as wild clary and squinancywort.
- The diverse flora includes fragrant, pyramidal, bee and frog orchid, clustered bellflower, bastard toadflax, squinancywort, sainfoin, horseshoe and kidney vetch and hairy violet.
- The rare cypress spurge grows in abundance here as does dyers greenweed and squinancywort.
early 18th century: from medieval Latin squinantia (apparently formed by confusion of Greek sunankhē with kunankhē 'cynanche', both denoting throat diseases) + wort.