noun (plural same or squirrelfishes)
A large-eyed, chiefly nocturnal marine fish that is typically brightly coloured and lives around rocks or coral reefs in warm seas.
- Family Holocentridae: several genera and species.
More example sentences
- Lobsters, moray eels and squirrelfish seek refuge in the artificial reef made up of PVC pipes.
- We saw crabs, eels, batfish, unicornfish, pufferfish, boxfish, lionfish, squirrelfish, racoonfish, butterflyfish, parrotfish and angelfish, to name just a few.
- Since gas bubbles increase sensitivity to sound, many ray-finned fish (e.g. herrings, elephantfishes and squirrelfishes) have modified gas bladders and swimbladders adjacent to the inner ear.
Definition of squirrelfish in:
- The US English dictionary