- A free-standing abstract sculpture or structure, typically of wire or sheet metal, in the style of a mobile but rigid and stationary.More example sentences
- Calder - genius, creator of the mobile and the stabile - was a splendidly practical character.
- Most of Calder's sculptures - especially his mobiles and stabiles - used the ideas of Constructivism, which had first been developed by Vladimir Tatlin in Russia.
- Jean began by showing slides of work by Alexander Calder, the American artist who built mobiles and stabiles, initially out of paper, then large sheets of steel.
1940s: from Latin stabilis 'stable', influenced by mobile.
More definitions of stabileDefinition of stabile in:
- The US English dictionary