Definition of stablemate in English:
1A horse, especially a racehorse, from the same establishment as another.
- Although the problem was not thought to be serious at the time, trainer Willie Mullins admitted on Sunday that he was concerned about the horse, a stablemate of Florida Pearl.
- Wekiva Springs was one of the nation's top handicap runners in the mid-1990s despite being overshadowed by stablemate and two-time Horse of the Year Cigar.
- Pacesetters are intended to set up races for their come-from-behind stablemates, but their jockeys are still expected to try their best.
1.1A person or product from the same organization or background as another: the Daily Mirror and its Scottish stablemate the Daily Record
More example sentences
- Brought over to the Donmar some seven years ago to direct a production of Jean Genet's The Maids, after Mendes had seen one of his productions in Dublin, Crowley watched his stablemate falter at the starting gate several times.
- The same punch was to determine the following bout when Ali Funeka produced a carbon copy performance of his stablemate Vetyeka, blowing away Dumisani Mofu in the fourth round of their junior lightweight scrap.
- DCX's underutilized Belvidere, Ill., facility that builds the Neon couldn't integrate production of its PT Cruiser platform stablemate due to paint shop issues.
Definition of stablemate in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.