Definition of stablemate in English:
1A horse, especially a racehorse, from the same establishment as another.
- Although the problem was not thought to be serious at the time, trainer Willie Mullins admitted on Sunday that he was concerned about the horse, a stablemate of Florida Pearl.
- Wekiva Springs was one of the nation's top handicap runners in the mid-1990s despite being overshadowed by stablemate and two-time Horse of the Year Cigar.
- Pacesetters are intended to set up races for their come-from-behind stablemates, but their jockeys are still expected to try their best.
1.1A person or product from the same organization or background as another: the Daily Mirror and its Scottish stablemate the Daily Record
More example sentences
- Brought over to the Donmar some seven years ago to direct a production of Jean Genet's The Maids, after Mendes had seen one of his productions in Dublin, Crowley watched his stablemate falter at the starting gate several times.
- The same punch was to determine the following bout when Ali Funeka produced a carbon copy performance of his stablemate Vetyeka, blowing away Dumisani Mofu in the fourth round of their junior lightweight scrap.
- DCX's underutilized Belvidere, Ill., facility that builds the Neon couldn't integrate production of its PT Cruiser platform stablemate due to paint shop issues.
Definition of stablemate in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan