1(Of water or air) cease to flow or move; become stagnant.
- Pointed out was the fact that due to the closure of these sluice gates there was no flow of water, resulting in water stagnating in the khazan lands.
- ‘So every time it rains, water stagnates there, creating breeding grounds for mosquitoes carrying the malaria virus,’ he added.
- The still waters stagnate as discarded bottles float to the surface.
1.1Cease developing; become inactive or dull: teaching can easily stagnate into a set of routines (as adjective stagnating) stagnating consumer confidence
More example sentences
- It does not require an Einstein to see that traffic does not flow it stagnates around Chippenham.
- Relationships have to keep moving forward or they stagnate and die.
- The exchange rate went up, and the economy stagnated for six years.
Mid 17th century: from Latin stagnat- 'settled as a still pool', from the verb stagnare, from stagnum 'pool'.
Words that rhyme with stagnateabate, ablate, aerate, ait, await, backdate, bait, bate, berate, castrate, collate, conflate, crate, create, cremate, date, deflate, dictate, dilate, distraite, donate, downstate, eight, elate, equate, estate, fate, fête, fixate, freight, frustrate, gait, gate, gestate, gradate, grate, great, gyrate, hate, hydrate, inflate, innate, interrelate, interstate, irate, Kate, Kuwait, lactate, late, locate, lustrate, mandate, mate, migrate, misdate, misstate, mistranslate, mutate, narrate, negate, notate, orate, ornate, Pate, placate, plate, prate, prorate, prostrate, pulsate, pupate, quadrate, rate, rotate, sate, sedate, serrate, short weight, skate, slate, spate, spectate, spruit, state, straight, strait, Tate, tête-à-tête, Thwaite, translate, translocate, transmigrate, truncate, underrate, understate, underweight, update, uprate, upstate, up-to-date, vacate, vibrate, wait, weight
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: stag|nate
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.