A rod for securing a carpet in the angle between two steps.
- The stairwell is still awaiting the final touches as the family tries to find the right stair rods for the carpet but the white-painted balustrade is beautifully carved and it is not hard to imagine the end result.
- Striking brass stair rods lead the eye up to the first level.
- A common sight throughout the Victorian Era and into the 1930�s, stair rods were a functional part of home decor and another flourish in the exquisite detail associated with homes built during that time period
rain (or come down in) stair rods
- British informal Rain very heavily.Example sentences
- It came down in stair rods with visibility towards the end of the race down to 400 metres.
- The clouds are down over our heads now; tremendous rolls of thunder; rain coming down in stair rods.
- The rain was coming down in stair rods when we arrived but it couldn't hold us back.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.