Definition of stalking horse in English:
1A person or thing that is used to conceal someone’s real intentions: you have used me simply as a stalking horse for some of your more outrageous views
More example sentences
- But nowadays movie production isn't so much a racket as a stalking horse for the real business of producing videos and cable TV rights.
- He doesn't seem too ruffled that he doesn't have the subpoena power, but he may be able to use these other panels who do have subpoena power as sort of stalking horses, and, eventually, there may be some pooling of information.
- Referring to the application for an incinerator in Ringaskiddy, Co Cork, Mr Boyle said objectors feared the Meath incinerator was only a stalking horse for a far bigger incinerator in Cork.
1.1A candidate in an election for the leadership of a political party who stands only in order to provoke the election and thus allow a stronger candidate to come forward: [as modifier]: a stalking-horse challenge
More example sentences
- Last night party sources suggested a stalking horse candidate with little chance of winning could declare by July, drawing out other heavyweight figures who would not wish to be seen to be ‘wielding the dagger’.
- Some have charged that he is a political partisan - a stalking horse for Democrats.
- The claim that she is acting as a stalking horse for the party is at once hysterical and far-fetched.
2A screen traditionally made in the shape of a horse behind which a hunter may stay concealed when stalking prey.
- To creep upon the birds, however, it is often best, whatever the weapon, to employ a stalking horse a curious affair of stuffed canvas painted like a horse;the fowler puts it in front of him and the ducks swimming in the pool are never scared at the gradual approach of a harmless animal; then "crack! sounds the caliver and you can pick up the dead birds on the water.
Early 16th century: from the former practice of using a horse trained to allow a fowler to hide behind it, or under its coverings, until within easy range of prey.
Definition of stalking horse in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan