- 1Deputize: Brown stood in for the injured SimpsonMore example sentences
deputize, act, act as deputy, substitute, act as substitute, act as stand-in, fill in, sit in, do duty, take over, act as understudy, act as locum, do a locum, be a proxy, cover, provide cover, hold the fort, step into the breach; take the place of, do something in someone's place/stead, replace, relieve, take over from, understudypinch-hit
- I then stood in for another team leader while she was off, and I picked up everything really quickly.
- Ian Bell also pushed his claims by striking an assured 70 when he stood in for Graham Thorpe.
- He stood in for us when called on and played better than we could have expected.
- 2 Nautical Sail closer to the shore.More example sentences
- The American ship stood in as close to the shoals as she dared and then fired a shot across the steamer's bow.
- The ship stood in for the island.
- In the evening we saw a harbour, stood in towards it and found it to have all the appearances of a good one.
More definitions of stand inDefinition of stand in in:
- The US English dictionary