- 1Move or keep away: the women stood off at a slight distanceMore example sentences
- Unbeknownst to everyone else, a man in an impeccable suit stood off in the shadows, not moving a muscle.
- During this process, the safety observer stood off to the side.
- Jessica and I stood off to the side, eager to get under way.
- 2 Nautical Sail further away from the shore: the ship was standing off on the landward sideMore example sentences
- Recognizing it to be a naval auxiliary, the Shackleton stood off.
- Before that time steamers often had to stand off in busy times until it was their turn to be unloaded.
- The boat edged in, standing off sufficiently to avoid boats, people and rocks.
More definitions of stand offDefinition of stand off in:
- The US English dictionary