Definition of standard-bearer in English:
1A soldier who is responsible for carrying the distinctive flag of a unit, regiment, or army.
- Caesar records the standard-bearer of X Legion in the Roman invasion of Britain who, seeing his comrades reluctant to disembark, jumped into the surf and obliged them to follow him or lose their standard.
- The standard-bearer and the battalion commander are a scant ten up from me, leading the march.
- As a Volunteer he was his Unit's standard-bearer and fought in the 1916 Rising.
1.1A leading figure in a cause or movement: the announcement made her a standard-bearer for gay rights
More example sentences
- When Ali refused the draft, there was no genuinely mass anti-war movement in the country; not long after, he would become one of the standard-bearers of that movement.
- The original standard-bearers of the U.S. gay rights movement get their due in a new documentary
- He is, warts and all, our standard-bearer and founder of our Republic.
Definition of standard-bearer in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan