1British An instruction to a bank by an account holder to make regular fixed payments to a particular person or organization.
- The staff, whose role is to deal with queries arising from bank accounts such as standing orders and direct debits, are predominantly part-time women whose wages are vital to the family income.
- I'm charged for having an unauthorised overdraft when my bank takes a standing order payment on a Sunday but I cannot pay in the corresponding credit until the next working day.
- Set up a monthly standing order from your bank account to your card for this flat amount.
2British An order for a commodity placed on a regular basis with a retailer such as a newsagent.
- Can I add items from the website to my standing order?
- You can order a single copy or arrange an ongoing standing order.
- If you have a standing order for this series, you will NOT automatically receive this volume; you will need to specifically order it.
3An order or ruling governing the procedures of a parliament or other society or council.
- The EP's Rules of Procedure, the standing orders of the Parliament, set numerical criteria for group formation.
- The Scottish parliament standing orders help cage its backbenchers.
- The standing orders of the German parliament expressly prescribe that each parliamentary faction is entitled to fill a post of deputy president.
4A military order or ruling that is retained irrespective of changing conditions.
- The soldiers carried with them CDF standing orders outlining the conditions under which a soldier might shoot.
- We have an environmental officer who looks after road movement and any restrictions placed on us by range control and ensures that we comply with range standing orders.
- The unit became an independent force, answering directly to MG Groves, going wherever necessary in the European theater, and overriding all standing orders.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: stand|ing order
Definition of standing order in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.