Definition of standing order in English:
1British An instruction to a bank by an account holder to make regular fixed payments to a particular person or organization.
- The staff, whose role is to deal with queries arising from bank accounts such as standing orders and direct debits, are predominantly part-time women whose wages are vital to the family income.
- I'm charged for having an unauthorised overdraft when my bank takes a standing order payment on a Sunday but I cannot pay in the corresponding credit until the next working day.
- Set up a monthly standing order from your bank account to your card for this flat amount.
2British An order for a commodity placed on a regular basis with a retailer such as a newsagent.
- Can I add items from the website to my standing order?
- You can order a single copy or arrange an ongoing standing order.
- If you have a standing order for this series, you will NOT automatically receive this volume; you will need to specifically order it.
3An order or ruling governing the procedures of a parliament or other society or council.
- The EP's Rules of Procedure, the standing orders of the Parliament, set numerical criteria for group formation.
- The Scottish parliament standing orders help cage its backbenchers.
- The standing orders of the German parliament expressly prescribe that each parliamentary faction is entitled to fill a post of deputy president.
4A military order or ruling that is retained irrespective of changing conditions.
- The soldiers carried with them CDF standing orders outlining the conditions under which a soldier might shoot.
- We have an environmental officer who looks after road movement and any restrictions placed on us by range control and ensures that we comply with range standing orders.
- The unit became an independent force, answering directly to MG Groves, going wherever necessary in the European theater, and overriding all standing orders.
Definition of standing order in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan