- 1British An instruction to a bank by an account holder to make regular fixed payments to a particular person or organization.More example sentences
- The staff, whose role is to deal with queries arising from bank accounts such as standing orders and direct debits, are predominantly part-time women whose wages are vital to the family income.
- I'm charged for having an unauthorised overdraft when my bank takes a standing order payment on a Sunday but I cannot pay in the corresponding credit until the next working day.
- Set up a monthly standing order from your bank account to your card for this flat amount.
- 2British An order for a commodity placed on a regular basis with a retailer such as a newsagent.More example sentences
- Can I add items from the website to my standing order?
- You can order a single copy or arrange an ongoing standing order.
- If you have a standing order for this series, you will NOT automatically receive this volume; you will need to specifically order it.
- 3An order or ruling governing the procedures of a parliament or other society or council.More example sentences
- The EP's Rules of Procedure, the standing orders of the Parliament, set numerical criteria for group formation.
- The Scottish parliament standing orders help cage its backbenchers.
- The standing orders of the German parliament expressly prescribe that each parliamentary faction is entitled to fill a post of deputy president.
- 4A military order or ruling that is retained irrespective of changing conditions.More example sentences
- The soldiers carried with them CDF standing orders outlining the conditions under which a soldier might shoot.
- We have an environmental officer who looks after road movement and any restrictions placed on us by range control and ensures that we comply with range standing orders.
- The unit became an independent force, answering directly to MG Groves, going wherever necessary in the European theater, and overriding all standing orders.
More definitions of standing orderDefinition of standing order in:
- The US English dictionary