Definition of stanza in English:
1A group of lines forming the basic recurring metrical unit in a poem; a verse.
- First, with respect to prosody, he believes that the syllable count of poetic lines, strophes, stanzas, and poems was essential to the writing of biblical poetry.
- Free verse is positioned alongside tightly organized stanzas; individual poems range in length from 4 to 204 lines.
- Armed with those data, Jouet composed poems about each of them in a similar poetic form: three stanzas of six verses each.
1.1A group of four lines in some Greek and Latin metres.
- It is written in stanzas of four octosyllabic lines rhyming a b b a, and is divided into 132 sections of varying length.
- I thought it was curious, then, when I saw the phrase in Sappho, in the first stanza of the poem To Atthis.
late 16th century: from Italian, literally 'standing place', also 'stanza'.
- Example sentences
- There are prose poems in this work but it is the traditional stanzaed work that gives this volume its form.
- In the opera stanzaed popular songs bring out its thematic and ideological content.
- Sadly he has not completely escaped the variably narrow and slightly thicker, paragraphically stanzaed one-to-two pager.
- Example sentences
- The play is written in verse which varies between alternately rhyming quatrains and stanzaic form, the effect being lyric rather than dramatic.
- I suggest therefore that the stanzaic form of ‘Ode’ is reminiscent of Spender's practice in Poems.
- However, sequences in his last three books juxtapose different strophic and stanzaic patterns, prose and verse, relatively coherent narrative elements, dream elements, and fragments of meditation.
Definition of stanza in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan