- 1A small star-shaped fruit with one seed in each arm. It has an aniseed flavour and is used unripe in Asian cookery.More example sentences
- Add the carrot juice, gingerroot, star anise, lemon and orange zest, and chile powder.
- Place the huckleberries, cinnamon stick, cloves, star anise, and cardamom seeds in a medium bowl.
- Bring the caster sugar and 500 ml of water to the boil in a medium saucepan, then add the lemon juice, stem ginger, star anise and the vanilla pod.
- 2The small Chinese evergreen tree from which star anise is obtained.
More example sentences
- Illicium verum, family Illiciaceae
- Many herbs can help to deter flies, such as lavender, sweet woodruff, lemon verbena, star anise, tansy, any of the mints, rosemary, bay, chamomile, rue, elder, southernwood and basil.
- In the meantime, there is no short-term supply relief in sight, because star anise trees take years to mature.
More definitions of star aniseDefinition of star anise in:
- The US English dictionary