Entry from US English dictionary
A resplendent star that is said to have guided the Magi to the birthplace of the infant Jesus.
- During the sermon, the pastor was musing about how the Star of Bethlehem that led the magi to the manger might be explained by ‘skeptics’.
- He now believes this date to be the birth date of Jesus and the Star of Bethlehem to be Jupiter.
- Others claim that it's a ‘new Star of Bethlehem,’ possibly announcing the rebirth of Jesus Christ in the Azores.
A plant of the lily family with star-shaped flowers which typically have green stripes on the outer surface, found in temperate regions of the Old World.
- Genera Ornithogalum and Gagea, family Liliaceae: several species, including the white-flowered O. umbellatum and the yellow-flowered G. luteum
- Bach Rescue Remedy combines star of Bethlehem, rock rose, impatiens, cherry plum and clematis flower essences.
- My father used to grow them in his gardens, along with oleander and star of Bethlehem.
- The same is true for the common Star of Bethlehem (Ornithogalum umbellatum).
Definition of Star of Bethlehem in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.