nouninformal, chiefly derogatory
A famous or high-profile architect: a welcome departure from the ego-driven era of the starchitect
More example sentences
- The future historians of the built environment of Blairism won't be consulting back issues of AD or the glossy monographs of the starchitect.
- There are far worse fates for American art than to be hung in a public museum - especially one designed by starchitect Moshe Safdie.
- The grad program at Columbia in the mid-1990s...was less a school of architecture than a breeding ground for young starchitects.
- Example sentences
- Even with collaboration, producing "starchitecture" is far from easy.
- It's not necessarily brand-name starchitecture that inflates building costs.
- But one toxic result of recent 'starchitecture' culture is the steady stream of theoretical bafflegab that pours from architectural schools and journals.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: star¦chi|tect
Definition of starchitect in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.