noun(usually the starting gate)
- A restraining structure incorporating a barrier that is raised at the start of a race, typically in horse racing and skiing, to ensure a simultaneous start: the first man out of the starting gate • figurative we must increase productivity, otherwise we risk being left at the starting gateMore example sentences
- Jockey Ed Cervantes was injured and taken to a hospital on Tuesday when his mount flipped in the starting gate before the fourth race at Canterbury Park in Shakopee, Minnesota.
- Reed sustained the fatal injury while attempting to load three-year-old Okie River Girl into the starting gate before the fifth race on Saturday.
- Freites complained of arm pain after being unseated when Local Forecast bumped a rival shortly after leaving the starting gate in the second race.
More definitions of starting gateDefinition of starting gate in:
- The US English dictionary