Definition of state house in English:
1(In the US) the building where the legislature of a state meets.
- They fear a genuinely popular movement against the policies of the extreme right far more than a Republican takeover of the state house.
- Not that mercy was a defining characteristic of Bush's six years in the Texas state house, when he put more prisoners to death than any other governor in modern US history.
- Everyone going into a state house, he asserted, ‘should understand that it is not a lifetime entitlement.’
2NZ A private house that is owned and let by the government.
- The lifestyle that Key's children enjoy at their prestigious private schools and in the various houses their parents own is far from Key's upbringing in a state house in Christ-church.
- And with 7000 Aucklanders on the waiting list, she wouldn't get near a state house of her own.
- Police acting on a tip-off from their counterparts in Tauranga converged on the former state house in Sedcole Street about 1am and smashed a window to gain entry.
Definition of state house in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India