noun[treated as singular]
- The description of physical phenomena in terms of a statistical treatment of the behaviour of large numbers of atoms or molecules, especially as regards the distribution of energy among them.More example sentences
- It brought together experts in number theory, quantum mechanics, statistical mechanics, and other areas of physics and mathematics to work on various problems centered on so-called random matrix theory.
- Some researchers have dismissed effective complexity as being too context dependent, or even subjective, but Gell-Mann disagrees, pointing out that similar judgements are routinely made in statistical mechanics.
- Appropriate time scales for the survival of statistical mechanics may be assumed by the fact that its basic concepts have not changed substantially for about 100 years.
More definitions of statistical mechanicsDefinition of statistical mechanics in:
- The US English dictionary