- A small organ of balance and orientation in some aquatic invertebrates, consisting of a sensory vesicle or cell containing statoliths. Also called otocyst.More example sentences
- In addition, the association of statocysts with mechanoreceptors further suggests that these ancient sense organs are distantly related to the vertebrate ear, linking sight and sound.
- There are tiny sense organs called statocysts with which food can be detected, but otherwise no trace of eyes or other features normally associted with a head.
- Turbellarians sense their environment with statocysts, chemoreceptors, and photoreceptors.
More definitions of statocystDefinition of statocyst in:
- The US English dictionary