- A church of a type built in Norway from the 11th to the 13th century, the walls of which were constructed of upright planks or staves.More example sentences
- In the nineteenth century, Pietists in Norway burned some of the celebrated ancient stave churches as their grotesque timber carvings were, again, considered idolatrous.
- The recent burning of some of the unique carved wood stave churches of Scandinavia in a bizarre attempt to reawaken the spirit of Valhalla made a more sophisticated understanding imperative.
- In Nordic stave churches, the mystery of the forest was fixed and explained as ‘dark light’.
More definitions of stave churchDefinition of stave church in:
- The US English dictionary