1British A tenacious person or thing, especially a horse able to hold out to the end of a race.
- The multiple Champion sire is well known for his stayers and middle-distance horses but he has also helped to produce top class milers such as Refuse To Bend, Barathea and King Of Kings.
- After three muddling performances in maiden races in May, I thought he might just possibly get there in the final furlong of a stayers ' race.
- ‘Mr Dinos is a jolly nice horse, and I've got quite a few decent stayers in my stable,’ Cole said.
2A person who lives somewhere temporarily as a visitor or guest.
- Life sure is going to change for the stayers when they realise that all the ordinary people in drudgery jobs will have bailed out.
- All but a few stayers were in their swags when a contingent of young people from Oodna arrived, hoping to join a party.
- They're geared up for large groups (something like ten to a room) and long stayers working their way around, but they offer what we're after too for less than 50 a night.
Words that rhyme with stayerabaya, betrayer, conveyor, Eritrea, flayer, Freya, gainsayer, layer, Malaya, Marbella, Maya, Mayer, Nouméa, obeyer, payer, player, portrayer, prayer, preyer, purveyor, slayer, sprayer, strayer, surveyor, waylayer, weigher
Definition of stayer in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.