Definition of steatite in English:
The mineral talc occurring in consolidated form, especially as soapstone.
- In Scandinavia many bowls and cooking vessels have been found carved from soapstone, or steatite, a mineral that is very heat tolerant.
- Potters at Bristol used steatite or soapstone - the ingredient that gives Worcester porcelain durability and enables it to hold hot liquids without cracking.
- In addition to the mosaic icons, this gallery held a small number of works of steatite and precious stone that were used for private devotions or for personal adornment.
- Example sentences
- The raw material source is a steatitic talc, also called soapstone, which originates from the thermal metamorphism of siliceous dolomitic rocks.
- Three recipe types are recognised namely, hard-paste Si-Al-Ca, phosphatic, and high-magnesium (steatitic) bodies.
- These sequences are immediately unerlain by steatitic ultramafics.
Definition of steatite in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan