Definition of steatopygia in English:
Accumulation of large amounts of fat on the buttocks, especially as a normal condition in the Khoikhoi and other peoples of arid parts of southern Africa.
- The steatopygia was seen as a pronounced, localized accumulation of fat or fatty-fibrous tissue on the upper part of the buttocks.
- Rather than relying on official scientific publications, however, Cuvier relied on travelers' accounts of the apron and the steatopygia.
- What seems certain is that steatopygia in both sexes was fairly widespread among the early races of man.
- Example sentences
- Until more historical work is done, possible relationships between cultural constructions of the sodomitical body and those of the steatopygous African woman will remain a matter of speculation.
- She went on her way, her grass skirt swinging rhythmically, resembling one of those steatopygous statues in anthropological museums.
- In the Paleolithic period, steatopygous figures may have suggested fertility, because of the necessity of certain levels of body fat required for procreation.
Pronunciation: /ˌstɪətə(ʊ)ˈpʌɪɡəs/ /ˌstɪəˈtɒpɪɡəs/adjective
Definition of steatopygia in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.