- 1The process or action of engraving a design into a steel plate: the complicated processes of copper and steel engravingMore example sentences
- Landseer was one of the first artists to allow his works to be widely disseminated through the then new medium of steel engraving.
- Doré also did a series of steel engravings for Tennyson's Idylls of the King, and illustrated Coleridge's Ancient Mariner and the works of Dante, Balzac, Ariosto, Rabelais, Cervantes, and many others.
- This method was referred to as ‘engraving in relief,’ but should not be confused with an intaglio process as in copper and steel engravings where the recesses or grooves receive the ink.
- 1.1 [count noun] A print made from an engraved steel plate: on his wall were huge steel engravings of soldiers on far battlefieldsMore example sentences
- He was never interested in any Western techniques like etchings or steel engravings.
- The print was described in the contemporary press as a ‘steel engraving,’ although in fact it was engraved on a copper printing plate that has survived to this day.
- The art of engraving from paintings reached its apotheosis in the mid-Victorian period, with vast steel engravings after such artists as Frith and Millais.
More definitions of steel engravingDefinition of steel engraving in:
- The US English dictionary