Definition of steelworks in English:
plural noun[usually treated as singular]
A factory where steel is manufactured.
- Dreams entertained by some Party leaders of large-scale steelworks and munition factories and large-scale collective agriculture were irrelevant and dangerous.
- During the Battle of Britain in 1940, Sheffield was a major target because of all the steelworks and the heavy manufacturing plants that dominated the city at that time.
- The industrial sector includes an oil refinery, steelworks, and chemicals.
- Example sentences
- The floors on which 9,300 steelworkers once tended to blast furnaces and presses now stand virtually empty.
- It may seem ironic, but rich people don't mind spending money on other rich people, just as steelworkers don't mind buying rounds of beers for other steelworkers.
- The father was a steelworker in the iron range, and for Paul a steelworker was always as important as a senator or a vice-president or a president for that matter.
Definition of steelworks in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.