- An apparatus for weighing that has a short arm taking the item to be weighed and a long graduated arm along which a weight is moved until it balances.More example sentences
- The patented invention for which he is best known, and which was the basis for his success as a manufacturer, was for the steelyard (a weighing device), which bears his name.
- Dr Henig has suggested that the figurine could have been cast from a clay mould made with a bronze fitting of a jug handle or a steelyard weight.
- These patents were for a steelyard, a candlestick, the anglet, a mason's hoist for bricks and mortar, and a balance (scale).
More definitions of steelyardDefinition of steelyard in:
- The US English dictionary