noun (plural same)
- An edible South African sea bream of shallow waters.
More example sentences
- Sparodon and other genera, family Sparidae
- As usual, a fair to strong current was running from north to south, and we let it glide us through the schools of game fish, big-eye jack, yellow-tail jack, Bank steenbras, and mangrove snapper.
- Fish species such as galjoen, white steenbras and spotted grunter that feed within the intertidal zone cannot survive where the beach has been denuded.
- A person may not for recreational purposes in one day harvest more than a total of ten fish comprising any one or more of the following species: blacktail, galjoen, kob, West Coast steenbras and snoek.
early 17th century: from Afrikaans, from Dutch steen 'stone' + brasen 'bream'.