(also stegosaurus /ˌstɛɡəˈsɔːrəs/)
A small-headed quadrupedal herbivorous dinosaur of the Jurassic and early Cretaceous periods, with a double row of large bony plates or spines along the back.
- Infraorder Stegosauria, order Ornithischia: several genera, including Stegosaurus
More example sentences
- Other herbivorous dinosaurs of the Jurassic included the plated stegosaurs.
- The thyreophorans are the armored ornithischians: the stegosaurs and ankylosaurs.
- Whether it's horned dinosaurs, crested duck-billed dinosaurs, plated stegosaurs, or dome-headed dinosaurs, paleontologists identify different species largely by these bizarre structures.
modern Latin, from Greek stegē 'covering' + sauros 'lizard'.
Definition of stegosaur in:
- The US English dictionary