noun (plural stelae /-liː/)Archaeology
- An upright stone slab or column typically bearing a commemorative inscription or relief design, often serving as a gravestone.More example sentences
- Scribes carved hieroglyphs on stone stelae, altars, wooden lintels, and roof beams, or painted them on ceramic vessels and in books made of bark paper.
- The sites are fascinating for their pyramids, sculpture, frescoes and stelae (carved stone slabs depicting various ceremonies).
- Many of these Han burials were readily identifiable by inscribed stone stelae, tablets recording the name, titles, and dates of the deceased.
late 18th century: via Latin from Greek (see stele).
More definitions of stelaDefinition of stela in:
- The US English dictionary