Definition of stele in English:
1 Botany The central core of the stem and root of a vascular plant, consisting of the vascular tissue (xylem and phloem) and associated supporting tissue. Also called vascular cylinder.
- All roots possessed a central stele of vascular tissues, surrounded by a few layers of cortical cells, and an outer layer of epidermis.
- Cross-sections of the asparagus stem revealed a primary rind and the stele, the vascular tissue had a scattered bundle system, with closed collateral bundles.
- Once inside the symplast, radial transport across the root to the central stele and, subsequently, unloading into the xylem are necessary for translocation to the shoot.
2 Archaeology another term for stela.
- A few years ago one of the Taewongun's steles could still be seen on the grounds of the recently restored Kyongbok Palace in Seoul.
- What is uncertain, and is a critical caveat to the entire reconstruction, is that the top edge of the fragment is a portion of the top edge of the stele to which it belonged, as is maintained.
- The decree ordering the assessment is a forceful document, and it and the assessments were inscribed on an imposing stele, set up on the Acropolis.
Early 19th century: from Greek stēlē 'standing block'.
- sense 1.Example sentences
- After 2-3 weeks post-treatment, hypodermal, exodermal and stelar lignifications were far more extreme in the more basal regions of sulfide-treated roots than in the controls.
- If cytosolic Na + in stelar cells is higher than quoted above and if xylem Na + is at the lower end of the above range, then the energy difference could favour the passive leakage of Na + into the xylem.
- Outwardly-rectifying K + dependent currents displaying sigmoidal activation kinetics have been identified in stelar cells from Arabidopsis, maize and barley roots.
Definition of stele in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan