- 1 • informal An entertaining and rousing speech: a stem-winder of a speechMore example sentences
- Giuliani used some of the most overt forms in order to present a classic political stem-winder.
- His was no Gettysburg Address, to be sure, but compared to some of the stem-winders of history, Mr. Clinton's speech, delivered at a rapid pace, flew by.
- To say it wasn't a stem-winder is simply to say that it wasn't like Barack Obama's speech a few nights back, or Clinton's, or even Clark's or Sharpton's for that matter.
sense 1 from the notion of ‘winding up’ or causing a lively reaction from those listening.
More definitions of stem-winderDefinition of stem-winder in:
- The US English dictionary