Definition of step something up in English:
1Increase the amount, speed, or intensity of something: police decided to step up security plans for the match
More example sentences
- From there he drove to his home in Glasgow's west end where his security will be stepped up.
- Security patrols have been stepped up in the border area.
- And as the government steps up its efforts to join the euro we can expect more traders sell sterling in anticipation.
2Increase voltage using a transformer.
- European machines, which operate on electrical standards different from those of U.S. machines, require transformers to step voltages up or down.
- In the pictures you see, it's taking power from an external power supply, stepping it up in voltage, and driving a fluorescent lamp - all at an efficiency of less than 100%.
Definition of step something up in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.