adverb & adjective
- In a series of distinct stages; not continuously: [as adverb]: concentrations of the acid tend to decrease stepwiseMore example sentences
- This procedure of stepwise construct loading was continued until a failure of fixation was detected.
- There was no discussion of intermediate stages showing how stepwise modifications in the current pathway could have been reversed back to a more simple stage.
- We used micropipette manipulation for forming and subsequently breaking the adhesive contact through a stepwise micromechanical procedure.
More definitions of stepwiseDefinition of stepwise in:
- The US English dictionary