A fossil amphibian with a broad flat head, occurring in the Permian and Triassic periods.
- Suborder Stereospondyli, order Temnospondyli: several families
More example sentences
- One lineage of stereospondyls, the Trematosauridae, actually took up a life in the oceans, the only stem tetrapods ever to have done so.
- Somewhere between the granddaddy stereospondyl and Trematosaurus there is a branch leading to hundreds of other species of stereospondyl, including metoposaurs, plagiosaurs, batrachosaurs and many, many others.
- The exhibit showed the flat skull of the stereospondyls and explained that they had large and unusually flat skulls and that the bones were solidly fused.
early 20th century: from modern Latin Stereospondyli (plural), from Greek stereos 'solid' + spondulos 'vertebra'.
Definition of stereospondyl in:
- The US English dictionary