A small sturgeon of the Danube basin and Caspian Sea area, farmed and commercially fished for its flesh and caviar.
- Acipenser ruthenus, family Acipenseridae
More example sentences
- Looking only a dorsal fin short of the extinct ichthyosaur species, the long snout and distinctive white markings suggest it is actually a sterlet, which is a breed of sturgeon.
- Following last week's shock discovery of a young sterlet in Chapman's Pond, Woodthorpe, another York angler has been in touch with the Evening Press about his own experiences with sturgeon.
- The fish dish served most often was Dviena sterlet in champagne sauce.
late 16th century: from Russian sterlyadʹ.
Definition of sterlet in:
- The US English dictionary