Definition of sternutator in English:
An agent that causes sneezing, especially one used in chemical warfare that causes irritation to the nose and eyes, pain in the chest, and nausea.
- Gases are classified by their principal effects as lachrymators (spelled lacrimators by the military), sternutators, vesicants, lung irritants, vomiting gases or systemic poisons.
- The dried plant, reduced to a powder, is a sternutator, ideal for headaches and sinusitis.
- In the medical lore of Europe during the Middle Ages, pastes, emetics, purgatives, emmenagogues, sternutators, convulsants, clysters, physical maneuvers, and pessaries are mentioned.
- Example sentences
- The whole plant is antiecchymotic, antiphlogistic, nervine, sternutatory and vulnerary.
- In addition, the dispensing is carried out without generating any cloud of liquid particles which might be inhaled by the user, with a sternutatory effect.
- From his theory of the action of the air through the nose on the contents of the ventricles of the brain is explained his use of sternutatories, and his belief in the efficacy of sneezing.
Pronunciation: /stəːˈnjuːtət(ə)ri/adjective& noun (plural sternutatories)
Definition of sternutator in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.