1Any of a large class of organic compounds with a characteristic molecular structure containing four rings of carbon atoms (three six-membered and one five). They include many hormones, alkaloids, and vitamins.
- It is an important part of a healthy body, being a building block for steroids such as the sex hormones, and the hormones of the adrenal cortex.
- Vitamin D is a steroid produced in the skin through a reaction between cholesterol and sunlight.
- One of the steroids it produces is cortisol, which increases the supply of glucose in the blood.
1.1 short for anabolic steroid.
- Well, this has a lot of eyes on Major League Baseball and its policy about drug testing and steroids.
- If he has a poor spring, some will doubt he even belongs in the big leagues without steroids.
- These doses were comparable with the doses that many athletes who use steroids take.
- Example sentences
- Although brain inflammation is evident in Alzheimer's disease, prospective trials of steroidal and nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs have failed to show benefit.
- Conjugated estrogens, a subgroup of the broad group of steroidal estrogens, are already listed as ‘known’ and drug labeling or package inserts discuss the possible side-effects that occur in some people.
- Unlike other aromatase inhibitors, exemestane is a steroidal aromatase inactivator, which means it selectively targets and irreversibly binds to the aromatase enzyme, which is required to produce estrogen.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: ster|oid
Definition of steroid in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.