Definition of stethoscope in English:
A medical instrument for listening to the action of someone’s heart or breathing, typically having a small disc-shaped resonator that is placed against the chest, and two tubes connected to earpieces.
- I knelt down by Phyllis, took out my stethoscope to establish my medical credentials, and listened knowingly to her chest.
- For example, the doctor may listen to the patient's chest with a stethoscope, to determine how well the airways are working.
- Your doctor will also listen to the baby's chest with a stethoscope.
- Example sentences
- This study showed a 1% incidence of an ‘ominous’ fetal heart rate trace on admission testing and, of these 10 infants, one died three hours after admission, without stethoscopic auscultation detecting any fetal compromise.
- Following a 5-minute rest period, a trained technician assessed baseline BP and HR measures with a series of stethoscopic measurements taken concurrently with the ambulatory monitor.
- Later, he embarked on a revised edition of this epochal work with a masterful correlation of stethoscopic sounds and diseases of the chest documented by postmortem findings.
Words that rhyme with stethoscopeantelope • envelope
Definition of stethoscope in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.