Definition of stewed in English:
1(Of food) cooked slowly in liquid in a closed dish or pan: stewed apple
More example sentences
- For dessert, many dishes include fried or stewed bananas.
- Standard dishes such as stewed beef and home-style bean curd are frequently requested here.
- This was served with a dish of stewed potatoes and turnips - a great complement to the flavorful meat, which was rosy and tender in places, wonderfully crispy and smoky in others.
1.1British (Of tea) tasting strong and bitter because of prolonged brewing.
- It seems strange to me, a visitor, that the stewed tea, rigid morals and lurid wallpaper of Fifties England should jump cultures so easily, but why not?
- They made contemptibly lukewarm, stewed tea, not the burning hot, intensely flavoured medicinal liquid that made you gasp as you sipped it.
- They change to the colour of stewed tea to the point where you can't see the bottom in six inches of water.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan