noun[mass noun] Biochemistry
- A powerful synthetic oestrogen used in hormone therapy, as a post-coital contraceptive, and as a growth-promoting agent for livestock.More example sentences
- For example, thyroxine for thyroid cancer, tamoxifen for oestrogen receptor positive breast cancer, and stilboestrol for cancer of the prostate.
- Female hormones lead to gynecomastia, as demonstrated in patients with alcoholic liver disease and those who have been treated with drugs such as stilbestrol.
- So you don't think that we'll have a stilboestrol problem which is the problem where women, to prevent miscarriage, got high doses of oestrogen in the hope that it would prevent the miscarriage.
More definitions of stilboestrolDefinition of stilboestrol in:
- The US English dictionary