- 1An insect or animal that stings, such as a bee or jellyfish: bees and wasps are the most commonly encountered stingersMore example sentences
- Known also as the sea wasp and the marine stinger, box jellyfish have killed about 65 people in the past century.
- On Catalyst you can also meet the amazing Tuatara from New Zealand who is not a lizard and who goes back to the Jurassic and meet stingers, the box jellyfish we talked about on the Science Show in January.
- A few other people were strolling over the sand, but no one was in the water, and for a very good reason: It was March and so the height of the season for box jellyfish, also known as sea wasps, marine stingers, or just stingers.
- 1.1The part of an insect or animal that holds a sting: scorpions use their stinger judiciously the stinger of the beeMore example sentences
- Other eusocial animal groups defend themselves with stingers, mandibles, and sharp teeth.
- What's more, the radula, a harpoonlike stinger that delivers the venom, can strike with enough speed and force to pierce a diver's wetsuit.
- I questioned students about parts other than the body and limbs that could be added, briefly demonstrating that tails, horns, ears, claws, stingers and eyes could be fashioned from the newspaper.
- 1.2 • informal A painful blow: he suffered a stinger on his right shoulderMore example sentences
- For the 49ers, the CB suffered a stinger and a knee sprain, and another CB sprained a finger on his right hand.
- He missed spring drills in 2001 because he suffered stingers in his neck last season.
- Broncos MLB Al, the team's leading tackler and lone veteran linebacker healthy, was having an Pro Bowl-caliber season before suffering a neck stinger on Sunday.
- 2 (Stinger) • trademark A device consisting of a spiked metal ribbon that is placed across a road to stop vehicles by puncturing their tyres.More example sentences
- The booby trap device - called the Stinger - is a mat full of spikes which can be placed into the path of a speeding car to burst its tyres.
- When the car would not stop, they used a stinger in Knockananna to deflate the tyres.
- A police stinger device was deployed on Leigh Road just before Atherton and the vehicle was abandoned on Market Street in Atherton at about 5.15 pm.
More definitions of stingerDefinition of stinger in:
- The US English dictionary