Any of a number of trees that yield timber with an unpleasant odour, in particular:
- ● (black stinkwood) a South African tree (Ocotea bullata, family Lauraceae). ● a New Zealand tree (Coprosoma foetidissima, family Rubiaceae).
More example sentences
- Nowadays, more indigenous trees - stinkwoods, cottons and wild olives - are being planted, and the balance of exotics and indigenous is more or less equal.
- A white stinkwood tree was planted in Ivory Park, near Midrand, on Friday 17 October as a symbol of prosperity in the global fight against poverty.
- Two of my favourite indigenous trees for bonsai are the white stinkwood and the red stemmed corkwood or paperbark.
Definition of stinkwood in:
- The US English dictionary