Definition of stipple in English:
1(In drawing, painting, and engraving) mark (a surface) with numerous small dots or specks: (as noun stippling) the miniaturist’s use of stippling
More example sentences
- The flattened back strap and grip surfaces were stippled and coated in OD, as was the slide, which was fitted with AmeriGlo's triple-tritium dot, ghostring-and-post sight set.
- Shearing surfaces are shown with a pattern of short grey lines, while broad crushing surfaces are stippled in grey.
- Charcoal shading adds the depth and substance, and Mark's hair is stippled in to give the ‘cropped’ look.
1.1Produce a decorative effect on (paint or other material) by roughening its surface when it is wet.
- Additional colors can be incorporated into the color scheme by stippling the paint or wash on, rather than off.
- The tip is painted fluorescent orange whilst the body is stippled using a piece of sponge with emerald green.
- We stipple it on sparingly with a small paint brush and finish off with a soft brush - but there must never be a hole in it, lest a loose thread catches and causes damage.
noun[mass noun] Back to top
The process or technique of stippling a surface, or the effect so created: these pictures combine his favourite techniques—wash, line, and stipple
More example sentences
- The technique of stipple goes back to the fifteenth century.
- My wife came with us last week, which is quite rare, since Frank and I have a tendency either to sit around discussing the exact stipple technique he used in the 1720s.
- Lane's technique is stipple, a succession of dots that form an image.
- Example sentences
- In addition to bristle or rubber stipplers, sponges can be employed to provide a similar kind of decoration.
- The stipplers are cleaned by wiping them on a dry paper towel using a circular motion.
- High-quality spiky stipplers are by no means low-priced but it is worth though paying a fine price for a high-grade instrument.
Mid 17th century: from Dutch stippelen, frequentative of stippen 'to prick', from stip 'a point'.
Words that rhyme with stipplefipple, nipple, ripple, tipple, triple
Definition of stipple in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.