- A small carnivorous mammal of the weasel family which has chestnut fur with white underparts and a black-tipped tail. It is native to both Eurasia and North America and in northern areas the coat turns white in winter. Compare with ermine, weasel.
More example sentences
- Mustela erminea, family Mustelidae. North American name: short-tailed weasel
- A cousin of mink, martens, otters, stoats, weasels and distantly related to seals, badgers are one of our oldest indigenous animals, whose fossil remains have been found to belong to the same era as mammoths.
- The robe is trimmed with ermine, which is the white winter coat of the stoat in northern regions of Europe.
- Mammals such as weasels, foxes, stoats and especially roe deer can wander safely without the risk of being killed by traffic.
late Middle English: of unknown origin.
More definitions of stoatDefinition of stoat in:
- The US English dictionary