noun[mass noun] Chemistry
- The relationship between the relative quantities of substances taking part in a reaction or forming a compound, typically a ratio of whole integers.More example sentences
- This relationship, called the stoichiometry of a reaction, can be used to predict how much reactant is needed to create a certain amount of product or to predict how much of the product will be formed from a certain amount of reactant.
- The relative stoichiometry of the different sequence copies in the parental lines was also studied.
- Finally, the net reaction may be exothermic or (more commonly) endothermic, depending on reaction stoichiometry.
early 19th century: from Greek stoikheion 'element' + -metry.
More definitions of stoichiometryDefinition of stoichiometry in:
- The US English dictionary